Tomato–basil bread

This is my favourite bread so far. It's very special and very tasty. I modified the recipe I found on Salad in a Jar. I mostly adjusted the flour and yeast content but I also made some other small changes.

Ingredients:

  • 200 ml water
  • 30 ml milk
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 50 g chopped sun-dried tomatoes (preferably conserved in oil)
  • 1 tbsp oil from under the sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 400 g wheat flour (all purpose / bread / tipo 0 / T55 / Euro 550)
  • 60 g whole wheat flour (or standard wheat flour if you prefer)
  • 10 g fresh yeast

Comment:

For a nicer look, I sprinkled some extra dried basil on top of the dough just before the baking phase started (do not open the lid for longer than a very few seconds!).

Settings:

  • Program: 4 Basic Bread
  • Weight: 750 g
  • Crust colour: light

My bread developed a quite dark crust even with the light crust colour setting (see the photo above).

This bread is so tasty that when it's fresh, I often eat it with just some butter and cheese. It's like caprese!

What is your favourite bread recipe?
Write it in the comments below!

Comments